Why did the Emergent Chicken cross the road? Here are my top ten reasons in no particular order:
- The Chicken was drawn to the candles and incense on the other side of the road.
- There was a Hauerwas discussion group at the coffee shop on the other side of the road.
- The idea to cross the road emerged from the chicken’s generative cohort.
- It was more “post” on the other side of the road. (i.e, postmodern, post-evangelical, post-colonial, post-institutional, post-post, etc. Pick your favorite "post.")
- D. A. Carson showed up on the chicken’s side of the road.
- Obama was on the other side of the road.
- To demonstrate that it is more environmentally sustainable to walk across the road than to drive across the road.
- Bono said crossing the road would save Africa.
- The chicken was seeking change. Everything must change!
- The question is merely a foundationalist modernist attempt to distill complex realities down to a single proposition in accordance with some metanarrative.
Any others to suggest?